To the First King of My Heart

4:00 PM


Daddy,

  I would be lying to say that you aren't the reason I work so hard. I know that I always write about mom, and that's because there's so much that mom and I have in common, just because we're both girls, duh. But when I think about it, there's a lot that I get from you too. The fact that I look more like you than I do mom says a lot. We both have the same hot headed temper, that's preceded by a calm front. We both make fun of mom, a lot. And there are some things about you that I still hope to be in life.

  Like the fact that you're so incredibly kind to all those you call your friends. Just by observation through the years, you have always been such a giving person. You go out of your way to help your friends in need, when it comes to cars, parties, homes, work, and life in general. You're not selfish at all. You don't mind giving to those you care for. It took me a long time to notice that, because you are good about putting up this "mean, tough guy" front, that maybe not a lot of people see that you're just a giant teddy bear.

  Or the fact that you're the realest person that I know. You don't play any games. You speak your mind. Sometimes you don't do it in the most tactful ways, but you always say what we need to hear. This comes especially handy when mom's blabber doesn't get to us. You come in with the cavalry and scare the living daylights out of us with the truth.

  You're so funny! I think the thing I missed about you the most when you were in Korea, and I'd be at home visiting parties or even just at the house, is the humor you had. Whether it came to making fun of mom, or you dancing and singing with everyone. Everyone you interact with loves you because you're so funny and so easy to get along with.

  Papa bear, I love you. I love that you are the way you are, and even though you don't speak that much, the things that you do speak volumes. Like when we find our old stuffed toys still tucked away in a box, like my torn up Winnie the Pooh still in the garage. Or our little stuffed sheep that's survived multiple PCS's. Or just the times when you say that you're proud of us. It all means the most because it's coming from you.

  I'm not there this Father's day, and I wish I could be. I wish you were coming here with mom, just so we could all be together in Europe again. But I guess we'll have to settle for the holidays... Unless you're coming with mom to help. Until then, Happy Papa's Day, I love you.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Search This Blog